Thursday, March 28, 2024

evolution of a track plan

 While I am slowly working on the wiring for the main standard gauge layout, I started working on an HOn3 switching layout.   There have been way to many interruptions while working on the wiring for the main layout.  

The HOn3 layout will be 2 feet by 8 feet and is a modified timesaver.   The original plan came from a shelf layout plan book and is one leg of the L shape.  see below.  I increased the original sections length and width.


This plan is a modified version of John Allen's timesaver switching puzzle.   A reversed image of that puzzle is shown below.


This modified plan adds an extra two turnouts and spurs on the right side of the plan.   I also added an extra turnout and spur to the upper left spur and shifted the entire plan to the right providing additional length to the tracks on the left.  The water feature on the left half was moved closer to the bottom edge and reduced in size to a stream.  Other minor changes were made to some of the spur locations.  

Track will be code 55 HOn3 from MicroEngineering and turnouts have been sourced from EBay and Jamestown Trains.  I have four #6 turnouts that I found on EBay and Jamestown Trains is building four #5 turnouts.  I have glued down some N scale cork roadbed for the track arrangement using FastTracks turnout templates as a guide for locations.  The spurs have a capacity of 24 30 foot cars.   I plan to use one locomotive and about 20 assorted cars on this layout.   I have a pair of Southern Pacific narrow gauge steam engines and have made a reservation for a narrow gauge Bombardier (ALCO/MLW) DL535 from Northbound Model Works.   They may still be taking reservations for this locomotive and no down payment.   Hopefully this will be shipped later this year.



1 comment:

evolution of a track plan

 While I am slowly working on the wiring for the main standard gauge layout, I started working on an HOn3 switching layout.   There have bee...